CAT







When I speak to you
I use a high-pitched voice.
I use a high-pitched voice
because I know you have
high-pitched ears.

When I speak to you
I smile by closing my eyes.
I smile by closing my eyes
because you smile
by closing your eyes.

When you plud on my stomach
you treat me as your mother.
You treat me as your mother
because I am warm
and because I am there.

So when we converse
I send myself up.
I send myself up
because although you catch the tone
you never hear the words.

But when we converse
I treat you like a human.
I treat you like a human
because you treat me
just like another cat.

And when I stroke you
I use my fingers like a tongue.
I use my fingers like a tongue
because your mother licked you
as I lick with my fingers.

And when we sit with each other
we exist in our separate worlds.
We exist in our separate worlds
because we both know
the other can be trusted.

7/6/05


Click the link below to read more about the poet
More about Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment